Live Oak School was founded in 1864. The one-room schoolhouse was located at Live Oak Road in rural southeast Lodi. In 1906 a school tax of $2,250 was passed and levied to build and enlarge the schoolhouse. In 1949, the current site was purchased approximately one half mile from the original location, and the present school building was constructed.
From 1989 – 2003, a total of fourteen years, Live Oak was on a Year Round Calendar of 163 instructional days and served as many as 500 students each year. In 2003, Live Oak switched to a Modified Traditional Calendar of 180 instructional days, and its attendance boundaries were changed The specially designed calendar and bilingual program to accommodate the needs of Migrant students continued until June of 2008. Currently all students follow the Modified Traditional Calendar.